Here’s what members and friends of the Lakes Committee have accomplished in the past month:
1. We’ve extended and repaired fencing around Bridgeway Lake. We’ve installed new gates and more fencing on both beaches to encourage recreation and keep geese out. Please remember to close the gates upon leaving.
2. We’ve shared information about fertilizing practices with the community in response to the fertilizer survey. Look for it on the website and in the LORE.
3. We’ve drafted an extensive "Drainage/Erosion Issues Assessment" identifying trouble spots. We will share it with Grounds and Roads committees in the hopes of working together to solve the problems.
4. We’ve cleared the upper lake of a trashcan full of litter.
5. We’ve purchased a beach blanket to stifle weed growth directly offshore. It will be rotated from one spot to another (it’s not a permanent installation) to test for effectiveness.
6. A work party of about a dozen neighbors met at the island off Rock Park to clean disturbed areas and enhance the natural environment. Wildflowers were uncovered, invasive plants pulled, and paths wood-chipped and defined with fallen limbs and trunks. Please walk on the paths; we will re-assess to consider repopulation with native shrubs where needed.
Thanks very much for your efforts: Phillip Kish, David Rodgers, Lois Maharg, Lara Treemore Spears, Wes Daining, Bart and Judah Wise, Larry, Barb and Jack Bowman, Mindy and Brian Kerr, Wesley Treemore, Lisa Carolin and Susanne Murray, Mary Swain, and Helen Weingarten. And special thanks to those who've worked on their own; we don't know who you are, but we see and appreciate the results of your labor on our beaches and in our woods.
May 1, 2010